An LCD staff attorney provides high quality legal services to low-income people with physical disabilities in Philadelphia and the surrounding counties. Clients reach LCD either by coming through one of our seven Medical Legal Partnership (MLP) sites, by attending one of our Community Legal Outreach Clinics (CLOC), or by calling our general intake line.
The staff attorney will provide legal representation to LCD’s client population in accordance with the Code of Professional Responsibility. This includes interviewing clients, conducting research, preparing legal documents, negotiating case resolutions, discovery and motion practice, and providing direct representation in both administrative and civil court proceedings. The staff attorney will provide training, mentoring, and support to volunteer attorneys and supervision, training, and support to legal interns and other student interns. The ideal candidate has 3 years of litigation experience preferable with a working knowledge of one or more of the following substantive areas: SSI/SSDI, landlord/tenant law, family law, public benefits and advance planning documents. The candidate should have an interest in the intersection of public health and the law with an understanding of the concept of social determinants of health.
- Prepare training material and presentation for health care partners and community members
- Participate in clinical research about the MLP model and social determinants of health
- Create analytical and quantitative assessments of the MLP project
- Present at community outreach events in Philadelphia and the surrounding counties
- Participate in a working group within our public interest community, advocacy group, or a community-based organization and a committee of the Philadelphia Bar Association
- Participate in other activities related to LCD’s mission including community education, writing of publishable materials, and submissions for presentations at professional conferences
- Publish community education materials
- Assist with development, communications, and media relations
- Take on other duties and tasks as assigned
- Admission to the PA Bar required
- Sensitivity to the special needs of individuals with disabilities
- Strong organizational, legal, writing and administrative skills required.
- A proven interest in the intersection of the law, health, policy and the needs of low-income people
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Able to establish effective working relationships with a variety of individuals coming from diverse backgrounds
- Organized, able to prioritize work, plan and problem-solve, meet deadlines and work well under pressure
- Spanish fluency a plus
- Three year commitment required
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
An LCD staff attorney must be flexible and adaptable to the changing environments at LCD’s various MLP sites and CLOCS. LCD’s MLP sites are in low-income communities and the legal issues at each site vary. The job requires travel to legal proceedings, client home visits, community meetings, between MLP sites and main office, CLOCS and other locations.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter, resume and writing sample to email@example.com. Applications accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
The Legal Clinic for the Disabled, Inc. (LCD) is a Pennsylvania not-for-profit corporation dedicated to providing free legal services to low-income persons with physical disabilities in Philadelphia, Bucks, Montgomery, Delaware, and Chester counties. LCD does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religious creed, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender, identity or gender expression, age, marital status and/or veteran status.
For internships, fellowships and volunteer opportunities please click here.