An LCD staff attorney provides high quality legal services to low-income people with disabilities in Philadelphia and the surrounding counties. The staff attorney will primarily staff PhilaKIDS, LCD’s Medical Legal Partnership (MLP) with St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children. The staff attorney will provide on-site legal services, host community outreach and education events, and assist with general telephone intake.
The staff attorney will provide legal representation to LCD’s client population in accordance with the Code of Professional Responsibility. This includes interviewing clients, conducting research, preparing legal documents, negotiating case resolutions, discovery and motion practice, and providing direct representation in both administrative and civil court proceedings. The staff attorney will provide training and support to medical providers and hospital staff at the MLP site on substantive legal issues. The attorney will supervise, train, and support legal interns and other student interns. The ideal candidate has 3 years of litigation experience preferable with a working knowledge of one or more of the following substantive areas: SSI/SSDI, landlord/tenant law, family law, public benefits and advance planning documents. The candidate should have an interest in the intersection of public health and the law with an understanding of the concept of social determinants of health.
- Provide direct legal services to clients including advice, administrative advocacy, in-court representation, and referrals as needed
- Prepare training material and presentation for health care partners and community members
- Facilitate research about the MLP model and social determinants of health
- Create analytical and quantitative assessments of the MLP project
- Present at community outreach events in Philadelphia and the surrounding counties
- Participate in a working group within the public interest community, advocacy group, or a community-based organization
- Participate in other activities related to LCD’s mission including community education, writing of publishable materials, and submissions for presentations at professional conferences
- Publish community education materials
- Take on other duties and tasks as assigned
- Admission to the PA Bar required
- Sensitivity to the special needs of individuals with disabilities
- Strong organizational, legal, writing and administrative skills required
- A proven interest in the intersection of the law, health, policy and the needs of low-income people
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Able to establish effective working relationships with a variety of individuals coming from diverse backgrounds
- Organized, able to prioritize work, plan and problem-solve, meet deadlines and work well under pressure
- Three year commitment required
The LCD staff attorney will be primarily staffing PhilaKIDS, LCD’s MLP with St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children. The MLP is located in a busy outpatient primary care pediatric practice within a low-income community. As such, the LCD staff attorney must be flexible and adaptable to the changing environments at the MLP site. The job requires travel to legal proceedings, client home visits, community meetings, between the MLP site and main office, and other locations.
LCD is a Pennsylvania not-for-profit corporation dedicated to providing free legal services to low-income persons with physical disabilities in Philadelphia, Bucks, Montgomery, Delaware, and Chester counties. LCD does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religious creed, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender, identity or gender expression, age, marital status and/or veteran status.
LEVEL OF LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY
Spanish fluency a plus
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED